Sunday, July 25, 2021

Previewing a Cashless Society

 



"We don't accept cash," the monorail ticket lady informed me. "We only take credit and debit cards."

I'm incredulous. I am traveling light without my bulky wallet as I've just completed a political action march from downtown to Seattle Center, and I have only cash. Definitely an inconvenience for me but I'm immediately thrown into a reflection about how millions of people who have no bank accounts, and no plastic cards, will deal with a futuristic society that won't accept cash. 

This sober concern for the future possibly gives me a more dejected look than I realized as I make my way back down the ticket line. A young woman steps in front of me holding up her credit card. 

"Jump in line with me," she says, "I'll pay your fare."

I'm momentarily dazed by the kindness of strangers but manage the presence to join her in line. The ticket lady does not look happy to see me again as if I'm making her life unreasonably difficult. 

Now standing on the monorail platform, I offer my benefactor the cash I owe her. She waves it away. In a generous mood, she's not accepting cash either.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome.