Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Power Jumping at the Monroe Fair


Power Jumping

Sophia and I are finally allowed to join her sister and the family at the local fair in Monroe; we sat it out until Sophia turned two. The Evergreen State Fair is bone basic, but a very pleasant annual event, and it is the perfect size fair for my granddaughters, ages two and five. Makenna has been coming to the fair for several years; there is a tidy record of her adventures from all the family pictures. I'm along mostly to help out with Sophia management, push the stroller, help to entertain her if she gets tired and cranky. It's been years since I've been to a fair and with the perfect weather and pumped up crowd, it's looking somewhat magical to me.

Sophia, new at the fair.


















Tea Cup Sisters

























The parents and I watch the kids' happy faces as they do the rides; photos are snapped from every angle. Next event: eating fair food. We find a place at the tables provided in the outdoor food court, and the parents spread out to gather the calories. Sophia gets cranky. She eats strictly on her own terms and none of the food presented pleases her. I'm immune to fair food so I volunteer to walk Sophia about so that the family can enjoy the gastronomical spread. It's three turns around the food court before Sophia decides to join them. The familiar smell of rancid grease lingers and follows me as I head over to buy an iced latte and a scone.


After an endearing, photo-op stroll with the kids through the animal barns, we came to the main event that I'd been looking forward to. I'd seen last year's fair pictures of Makenna on the power jumping trampolines, wearing gear that looked like rock climbing paraphernalia. I could do this; I would love it. Makenna and I queued up, paid, and entered the enclosure to sit on a long bench and wait our turn. It was only then that I noticed there was not a single other adult waiting for a turn. There weren't even any teenagers; just a line of kids that looked like a little league lineup. WTF? Why wouldn't everyone want to spring high in the air with the greatest of ease?







Each trampoline has a manager who adjusts the equipment and ropes by weight and yells instruction to the jumper. My guy began by guessing my weight at 15 pounds over my actual weight; not a good start on the personal connection. He advised that I shouldn't begin doing back flips until I gained control of my jumps. Helpful, but I wasn't planning to do any back flips.

Even regular trampolines are exciting, but power jumping is pure exuberance with stretched out moments free from gravity. I was flying, holding onto the ropes and vaulting higher and higher; joyously unrestrained. The ride is over much, much too soon.

I would love to have taken another turn at it, but we were winding down our fair experience. Makenna is promised cotton candy for the road and we're ready to go. I'm coming back next year. I'm ready for the back flips.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome.